Friday, May 11, 2007

Grammar



[links] Question Tags - Study and Practice Question Tags are commonly used in English for 2 main functions: 1) To get someone involved in a conversation, to encourage a response With this type of question tag, the speaker may often know the answer. Intonation tends to rise slightly and then fall at the end of the tag. Example: That barman was a bit rude, wasn't he? (falling intonation) 2) To confirm information that you think is true With this type of question tag, the speaker expects the listener to know the answer and is asking a genuine question. Intonation tends to rise sharply at the end of the tag. Example: I switched off the iron before we came out, didn't I? (rising intonation) How to Form Question Tags Although other forms of tag, such as reinforcement tags, same-way tags and attention signals exist in English, most question tags follow the following logic: Positive statements Say a positive statement, repeat the auxiliary verb in the negative, add the subject: He's absolutely crazy, isn't he? Negative statements Say a negative statement, repeat the auxiliary verb in the positive, add the subject: He isn't crazy, is he? Exceptions There are many! Note the following: Let's go out, shall we? (use shall after let's) I'm older than you, aren't I? (use aren't after I'm) Sign here, please, will/would you? (use will/would after imperatives) Final Note In many forms of spoken British English, a universal tag is sometimes preferred to all the above complications: Examples: He lives here, innit? pronounced /init/ We didn't have enough money to get in, innit? etc. This is considered slang and incorrect by other speakers, and is rarely accepted in exams! Grammar Notes by Jason Anderson (c) 2003. Exercise 1 Insert a Tag Complete each question or statement with an appropriate tag. All the tags used in these examples are inverted. Examples: He's absolutely crazy, isn't he? Positive statement, negative tag He isn't crazy, is he? Negative statement, positive tag 1. You're Russian, ___________? 2. The capital of Mongolia is Ulan Bator, _________? 3. You've done a lot of travelling, ___________? 4. You speak Farsi, _________? 5. Let's play a trick on him, _________? 6. Oh, shut up, _________! 7. You wouldn't hurt me, ___________? 8. Don't be too upset about it, ________? 9. Let's go to the pub tonight, _________? 10. You couldn't lend me a fiver, __________? 11. There'll be lots to see in Sicily, __________? 12. You can't smoke at 'Rose of York', __________? 13. Say something to me in Greek, _________? 14. There isn't any smog in the Highlands of Scotland, ________? 15. Your father works in Canada, ___________? 16. You met your husband in Canada, __________? 17. Help me with these bags, _________? 18. Shakespeare was born in Stratford-Upon-Avon, _________? 19. You haven't broken that as well, __________? 20. There aren't any theatres in Saudi Arabia, __________? 21. Sit down a moment, ________? 22. Look after this for a moment, _________? 23. You couldn't help me with my homework, __________? 24. There won't be too many people at the party, __________? 25. She looks really great, __________? 26. Your father doesn't drink whisky, _________? 27. You haven't got a dog, ________? 28. I'm a teacher, ___________? 29. There isn't any soccer violence in your country, __________? 30. He's got a very peculiar voice, __________? 31. Oh, shut the door, _________? 32. Soho isn't a very nice area, ________? 33. You haven't got a pen by any chance, _________? 34. Let's take a break, _________? 35.You don't like football, ________? 36. They're not exactly slim, _________? 37. Your brother can't drive, _________? 38. She's never loved her parents, ________? 39. It's extremely cold in Siberia in the winter, ________? 40. She's going to have a baby soon, ________? 41. Let's meet at 8, ________? 42. Some people are really crazy, _________? 43. We're going to Bournemouth on Saturday, _________? 44. You'd like to win a fortune on the lottery, __________? 45. You've been working late again, ____________? 46. The night bus service is very convenient, ________? 47. I've been teaching for sixteen years, __________? 48. You must be careful when you go to Rio de Janeiro, __________? 49. It's been raining for days now, _________? 50. I'm always right, _________? Answers Please Note: This lesson was created and is owned by J. Morley (c) 2003. Back to Learning Index Answers 1. You're Russian, aren't you? 2. The capital of Mongolia is Ulan Bator, isn't it? 3. You've done a lot of travelling, haven't you? 4. You speak Farsi, don't you? 5. Let's play a trick on him, shall we? 6. Oh, shut up, will you! 7. You wouldn't hurt me, would you? 8. Don't be too upset about it, will you? 9. Let's go to the pub tonight, shall we? 10. You couldn't lend me a fiver, could you? 11. There'll be lots to see in Sicily, won't there? 12. You can't smoke at 'Rose of York', can you? 13. Say something to me in Greek, will/would you? 14. There isn't any smog in the Highlands of Scotland, is there? 15. Your father works in Canada, doesn't he? 16. You met your husband in Canada, didn't you? 17. Help me with these bags, will/would you? 18. Shakespeare was born in Stratford-Upon-Avon, wasn't he? 19. You haven't broken that as well, have you? 20. There aren't any theatres in Saudi Arabia, are there? 21. Sit down a moment, will/would you? 22. Look after this for a moment, will/would you? 23. You couldn't help me with my homework, could you? 24. There won't be too many people at the party, will there? 25. She looks really great, doesn't she? 26. Your father doesn't drink whisky, does he? 27. You haven't got a dog, have you? 28. I'm a teacher, aren't I? 29. There isn't any soccer violence in your country, is there? 30. He's got a very peculiar voice, hasn't he? 31. Oh, shut the door, will/would you? 32. Soho isn't a very nice area, is it? 33. You haven't got a pen by any chance, have you? 34. Let's take a break, shall we? 35.You don't like football, do you? 36. They're not exactly slim, are they? 37. Your brother can't drive, can he? 38. She's never loved her parents, has she? 39. It's extremely cold in Siberia in the winter, isn't it? 40. She's going to have a baby soon, isn't she? 41. Let's meet at 8, shall we? 42. Some people are really crazy, aren't they? 43. We're going to Bournemouth on Saturday, aren't we? 44. You'd like to win a fortune on the lottery, wouldn't you? 45. You've been working late again, haven't you? 46. The night bus service is very convenient, isn't it? 47. I've been teaching for sixteen years, haven't I? 48. You must be careful when you go to Rio de Janeiro, mustn't you? 49. It's been raining for days now, hasn't it? 50. I'm always right, aren't I? Back Please Note: This lesson was created and is owned by J. Morley (c) 2003. Noun Clause Practice Quiz 1. I had an accident and took my car to the garage. My husband asked me where ________. a. is my car b. my car was c. my car is d. was my car e. is your car? 2. The old lady next door must have a lot of cats. I don't know how many _______________. a. cats does she have b. does she has cats c. she has cats d. cats she has e. cats has she 3. Do you know ____________ from the earth? I have no idea. a. how far the moon is b. how far is the moon c. how the moon is far d. if how far the moon is e. whether how is the moon far 4. Your brother is playing his music too loud. I can't hear what ____________ . a. is saying your brother b. that your brother is saying c. is saying your brother d. your brother is saying e. your brother says 5. When I left home, my uncle gave me some advice. He said __________ give up. a. I shouldn't b. that shouldn't c. don't d. that I don't e. no 6. Jill didn't want to go to the car show. Her husband insisted that ___________ with him. a. she come b. she came c. she had come d. she comes e. she has come 7. My boss wants this report immediately. He demanded that it ______________ ready by 5:00. a. is b. will be c. be d. was e. should be 8. Did he tell you where __________ the report when you finish? a. should you put b. you to put c. you put d. to put e. will you put 9. My friend predicted _____________ receive a lot praise for my work. a. that I would b. that I c. what would I d. what I e. me to 10. My friend saw an accident. He told me ____________ at the scene of the accident. a. if he'd seen b. what he saw c. what he'd seen d. whether he saw e. that he'd seen 11. Is it true all of the computers will shut down in the year 2,000? _______ is unbelievable! a. That all the computers could shut down b. All computers could shut down c. Due to the fact that all computers could shut down d. It is that all computers could shut down e. Shutting down of all computers 12. Can you tell me how to fix my computer? That depends on ____________ an old computer. a. have you b. whether you have c. that have you d. if have you e. about your having 13. Is it true __________ people are saying about Y2K? a. that what b. that c. if d. whether or not e. what 14. _______________ an old "date" chip is important. a. A computer has b. Does a computer c. If a computer have d. Whether or not a computer has e. Has a computer 15. What are you going to do with your old computer? Nothing! _________ is too expensive. a. That I want to do b. What I want to do c. That what I want to do d. What do I want to do e. If what I want to do Noun clauses connectors "what and that:" Quiz 2 Click the answer button to see the correct answer. 1. _________ he said to me was not important. A. that B. what 2. I know ____________ Hiroko has talked to Jun. A. that B. what 3. He doesn't remember __________ happened at the accident. A. that B. what 4. I heard ______________ there was a serious traffic accident on the corner of University Parkway and College Avenue. A. that B. what 5. ______________ we should do in the case of an earthquake should be an agenda item at the next City Council meeting. A. that B. what 6. _____________ we should keep a 72 hour emergency kit in case of an earthquake was a suggestion at the city council meeting. A. that B. what 7. I need to talk to you about ___________ John said to Mary at the party last Friday. A. that B. what 8. Everyone knows _____________ she said to him. A. that B. what 9. We know _____________ good love is always hard to find. A. that B. what 10. Friendship in a relationship is _______________ I seek. A. that B. what 11. It is unlikely _______________ we will have hurricanes in Southern California. A. that B. what 12. _____________ I do is not a concern of yours. A. that B. what 13. _______________ transpired at the game must be investigated if the police really want to understand the state of mind of the criminal. A. that B. what 14. ____________ Soumaya has successfully completed her MBA studies is not surprising because she has always been an exceptional student. A. that B. what 15. ____________ causes most teenage suicides remains a mystery to most professional counselors. A. that B. what 16. The soccer coach wanted to know ____________ problems caused her team to suffer their worst defeat in 75 years, a defeat bringing shame to the entire student body. A. that B. what 17. It is unfortunate _____________ the weather is so hot in the high desert. Otherwise, it would be the perfect place to live. A. that B. what 18. ___________ he had asked for is not what he would eventually get, which disappointed him immensely. A. that B. what 19. ______________ the U.S. possesses a nuclear arsenal is a well known military fact around the world. A. that B. what 20. _____________ we saw on TV was the most bizarre show I have ever seen. A. that B. what

0 comments: